Change Management & First Deployment
Copado Change Management setup will let you achieve best practices in your release management process. With this setup you will be able to control your user stories and their metadata changes as they move through your environment landscape until they finally reach the production environment.
- Create a new project and link it to your pipeline.
- Create a user story:
- In the Project field, select your new project.
- In the Environment field, select the source environment where you will develop the user story. This environment has to be present in your pipeline.
- In the Org Credential field select the org credential that corresponds to the environment you have previously selected.
- Click on Save.
- Commit files within the user story by clicking on Commit Changes. Select a couple of metadata components for testing purposes.
- Edit the user story and check the Ready to Promote checkbox or click on Submit:
- Create a promotion:
- In the Project field select the project you have already created.
- In the Source Environment field select the environment where you have been developing your user story. The source org credential and the destination environment and org credential will be populated based on the source environment selected.
- Click on Save.
- The user story should appear on the Selected User Stories section. Select it and click on Create Deployment.
- A new deployment will appear in the Deployments related list. Click on it and you will be redirected to the Deployment detail page.
- In the Deployment detail page you will notice that there is a source org and a corresponding destination org (as defined in your pipeline).
- Click on the Git Promotion step. A table will appear with the metadata components that were committed, which will be deployed to the destination org.
- Once the deployment is finished, check the following changes:
- In the destination org you will find that the metadata components were successfully deployed.
- In the repository branch linked to the destination org, you will see that the user story files were recently merged.
- If you open the user story, you will notice the environment has changed from the original value to the destination environment. Now, this user story can be tested again in the new org, and whenever it is ready to be promoted to the next environment, just repeat the promotion process.