How to Create a Promotion
Promoting a Single User Story
Copado allows you to promote user stories individually with the Promote and Deploy feature. This can be useful, for instance, if you want to apply a minor fix to a bug which does not share any dependency to another user story.
When using the Promote and Deploy feature, Copado creates a Promotion and a Deployment record of the selected user story and automatically executes the deployment.
To promote a single user story:
- Navigate to the User Stories tab and select the user story you want to promote.
- Check the Promote and Deploy checkbox:
Promoting Multiple User Stories
Copado allows you to promote user stories in bulk by integrating them into a single promotion. In order to do this, the user stories you want to promote must be flagged as Ready to Promote:
Once the user stories have been flagged as Ready to Promote, they will be ready to be promoted and will be available for selection.
You can promote multiple user stories in 2 ways:
- From the Promotion record.
- From the Pipeline page or Release Management page (v12 or under).
From the Promotion Record
- Before creating the Promotion record, make sure the user stories have been marked as Ready to Promote.
- Navigate to the Promotions tab and click on New.
- Select the Project or the Release. It is possible to create a promotion for user stories that belong to a project or to a release regardless of the project.
- Add the Source Environment. Copado will automatically fill in the source org credential, the destination environment and the destination org credential based on the pipeline related to the project or the release of the project and the available credential owned by the running user.
- Locate the required user stories from the Available User Stories list, check them and click on Add selected User Stories. The selected user stories will be then displayed under the Selected User Stories related list.
- When using Ready to Promote, Copado will not create the deployment automatically, this will have to be manually performed from the Promotion record. To learn more, please visit the article Creating a Deployment.
From the Pipeline Page
- First, ensure the user stories have been marked as Ready to Promote.
- Navigate to the Pipeline record and click on the Pipeline Manager link to open the Pipeline page:
- Click on the right arrow next to the environment from which you want to promote user stories:
- This will open a page where you can see all the user stories in that particular environment that are ready to be promoted, regardless of their project:
- Flag the user stories you are interested in promoting and choose the test level you want to apply to the deployment if you are promoting Apex code:
- Click on Promote (you will later need to manually create and launch the deployment) or on Promote & Deploy (Copado will automatically create a Promotion record and deploy the user stories). Copado will create a promotion per release and one promotion for the user stories that do not have a release.
Calculation of User Stories That Have Not Been Back Promoted
When you deploy a promotion to the last environment in your pipeline, usually production, Copado performs and displays a calculation of all the user stories that have been promoted to that environment but have not yet been back-promoted to other lower environments. This calculation will help you keep your environments in sync, thus avoiding merge conflicts and deployment errors.
A warning will be displayed on the Deployment Details pop-up window:
Click on Show Details to display the user stories:
As of Summer '20, you have the option to disable this calculation, if desired. To do so, follow these steps:
- Go to Setup > Custom Metadata Types.
- Click on Manage Records next to Copado Setting.
- Click on New.
- Enter Hide Promotion US Behind Warning in the label and Hide_Promotion_US_Behind_Warning in the name.
- Select the Enabled checkbox.
- Click on Save.