How to Create a Credential
As mentioned in the Credential Overview article, a credential is a connection between a user and an environment. Copado’s data model is based on credentials. Therefore, you always need a credential to work with Copado, regardless of the type of pipeline with which you are working.
- If you are working with a non-Salesforce pipeline (e.g., MuleSoft or Heroku), Copado automatically creates the credential for you once you create an environment.
- In a Salesforce pipeline, the first thing you need to do is create the credentials and authenticate them.
To create a new Credential, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the Credentials tab and click on New.
- Provide a name for the environment the credential will be tied to and select an org type.
- If you have selected Custom Domain in the previous step, provide your domain. The domain format must be "https://.
- By default, credentials are validated when the record is saved and every time the user views the record. If you don’t want credentials to be validated, select the Disable Validation checkbox.
- If you want to schedule automated Apex tests in your organization, select a test frequency. The available options are daily, weekly, or monthly.
- Once you are done, click on Save.
- Next, click on Authenticate:
- Enter your Salesforce username and password on the Salesforce login page.
- Next, you need to allow Copado to access your org. To do that, click on Allow.
- If the connected credential user has access to the Metadata API, a grid showing all the metadata components in that org is displayed. Otherwise, an empty list is displayed.
- Credential data are stored using the most restrictive security settings (these data are private and don’t have the Grant Access Using Hierarchies option selected). System administrators should keep these data as secure as any other sensitive information in the CRM database.
- Copado authenticates your orgs using OAuth, which means that no usernames or passwords are exchanged at all. OAuth tokens can be revoked at any time.
- To ensure the metadata grid loads, your user needs CRED permissions on the Push Topic and Copado Notification objects, either by profile or by permission set.