How to Create a User Story
Let’s take a look at the step-by-step process to create a user story:
- Navigate to the User Stories tab and click on New at the top right corner of the page.You can also create a user story from the User Stories related list on the Project record.
- Select record type according to the purpose of the User Story. Here are the details:
User story tracks new requirements. If you are building a new feature or an enhancement, use this record type. This can be inclusive of Technical Debt, Refactoring Work (if it is not a bug).
This record type doesn't allow to commit and perform development tasks, so it is used to support investigations, technical investigations, and so on.
Internal bugs created by the Development, QA, or the Customer Support teams. If you're not sure about using this record type, you can choose the investigation record type.
User story bundle that groups together user stories that can be promoted and deployed together. See How to Create a User Story Bundle for more information.
In this example, use the record type as User Story:
- Fill in the Information section:
- Provide a title for your user story. The title should include a short description of the requirements of the user story.
- Select a project. If you select a sprint but not a project, Copado will automatically set the Project lookup field to the project referenced in the selected sprint.
- Select the release in which the user story will be included.
- Choose a sprint.
- If you are working with themes and epics, you can include them in the user story.
- Select the credential of the environment where the changes you want to commit are located.
Once you save the user story, you can easily navigate to the org to review the changes by clicking on the Open Org button (available in the User Story and Bug record types).
- The environment will be auto-populated based on the credential selected.
- If you set the Ready to Promote checkbox to true, you will make the user story eligible for promotion.
- If you set the Promote and Deploy checkbox to true, you will trigger a new Promotion record for that user story which will be executed immediately.
- Fill in the Agile content section with relevant information about what you want to accomplish with the user story:
- As a: Type of user or role. Persona for whom you are creating the user story.
- Want to: Goal (what the persona specified in the previous field wants to achieve).
- So that: Reason (what the benefit of the feature requested is for the persona).
- Add detailed functional information about how the feature you are working on as part of the user story should work and technical information with specific details about what you are building and how you are going to implement it.
- Select the developer who will be working on the user story and a business analyst.
- Once you have filled in all the relevant fields, click on Save.