How to Create a User Story
A user story is an element used in Agile software development that contains a short, simple and complete description of a task that needs to be completed by a user. In Copado, user stories are used to move changes across your pipeline.
Let’s take a look at the step-by-step process of creating a user story:
- Navigate to the User Stories tab and click on New at the top right corner of the page.You can also create a user story from the User Stories related list on the Project record.
- Select record type according to the purpose of the User Story. Here are the details:
Purpose of the User Story
To design or work on a feature.
To fix a bug.
To investigate an issue (but not to actually fix it) or a feature.
To create a User Story Bundle.
In this example, use the record type as User Story:
- Fill in the Information section:
- Provide a title for your user story. The title should include a short description of the requirements of the user story.
- Select a project. If you select a sprint but not a project, Copado will automatically set the Project lookup field to the project referenced in the selected sprint.
- Select the release in which the user story will be included.
- Choose a sprint.
- If you are working with themes and epics, you can include them in the user story.
- Select the credential of the environment where the changes you want to commit are located.
Once you save the user story, you can easily navigate to the org to review the changes by clicking on the Open Org button (available in the User Story and Bug record types).
- The environment will be autopopulated based on the credential selected.
- If you set the Ready to Promote checkbox to true, you will make the user story eligible for promotion.
- If you set the Promote and Deploy checkbox to true, you will trigger a new Promotion record for that user story which will be executed immediately.
- Fill in the Agile content section with relevant information about what you want to accomplish with the user story:
- As a: Type of user or role. Persona for whom you are creating the user story.
- Want to: Goal (what the persona specified in the previous field wants to achieve).
- So that: Reason (what the benefit of the feature requested is for the persona).
- Add detailed functional information about how the feature you are working on as part of the user story should work and technical information with specific details about what you are building and how you are going to implement it.
- Select the developer who will be working on the user story and a business analyst.
- Once you have filled in all the relevant fields, click on Save.